August 19, 2013

Mzungu Effect


The sign above the bar reads “Enter as strangers, Leave as friends”. This phrase encompasses Kenya, and the trust its people give to one another. Well, that’s what I originally thought.

On Thursday morning I set out to design a new vending machine for Nakuru. After talking to people in the streets, it soon became obvious that this was in no way viable, simply due to the massive nationwide problem of coin shortage. I took it upon myself to brainstorm possible solutions, ensuring to get constant feedback from actual Africans.

Walking into high-street supermarkets, I approached employees and asked to speak to their Managers. Out of the three times I did this, I was shaking hands with the boss within 10 minutes of arriving, including meeting the Director of a successful Kenyan chain. After exploring the problem with them, I proceeded to introduce my cost-saving, customer-pleasing solution. All three were very excited with my proposition, and one even asked whether I could sign the contract there and then to implement my idea.

I later realised that what I had experienced is called the ‘Mzungu Effect’. ‘Mzungu’ is an African term which roughly translates to “foreigner, white, rich”. It was because of the colour of my skin that I was able to achieve such great success so quickly. I found out that many entrepreneurs in Kenya struggle to even talk to big decision makers, let alone nearly close a multi-thousand shilling deal within 30 minutes of walking through their door.

There is a lot of trust in Kenyan culture, but there is so much more for white people. It almost makes me feel guilty; though with this power I have great responsibility. I’m excited at the prospect of opening doors for the people I’m helping, although I must be careful to not take over their businesses. Sustainability after I’m gone is paramount.

2 comments

hduckett

Hi James - interetsing reflections - be careful though not to oversimplify what are actually complex sets of social relationships - your skin colour may not be the key differentiating factor - simply being a foreigner(irrespective of skin colour) or demonstrating the confidence to directly pitch your idea could explain the level of interest you encountered. Things are seldom simply 'black or white'!
Hilary

James

Hi Hilary! Thanks for your comment. I completely agree that my success on this day was not purely because of my skin colour. Like you pointed out, my confidence and tenacity to simply pitch an untested idea to a Supermarket Chain Director is something of a rarity, not only in Kenya but also in my home country. We've all heard many stories of great entrepreneurs who have had their product launched nationwide/globally simply by being innovative and impressing a key buyer.

The project I'm working with, Balloon Kenya, have been in Nakuru for a few years now. They brought the term 'Mzungu Effect' to my attention, reflecting on previous experiences such as getting (usually impossible) meetings with CEOs, politicians and other important officials very quickly. When our Kenyan friends have attempted this in the past they have failed.

Social relationships are indeed complex, but from what I have seen it is what I look like, at least at first, which gives me a high-status here in Nakuru.

Post a Comment